Update for a New Year

So this is just a quick blog to open the year. 2015 is going to be a big year for me and my writing, at least that's the plan. I'm pushing my copywriting/editing service for small businesses too, there are a lot of small businesses out there who could really use some better website content and I can do that easily and at prices they can afford. Promo over :)

My submission to the Blackguards anthology via Ragnarok Publishing was unsuccessful so I'm going to make it the first of a series of prequel stories to The Scarlet Ring. It was about one of the side characters in the novel and what he was doing immediately prior to the beginning of the book. In fact, some of it probably overlaps if I think about it. I'm looking forward to getting Blackguards anyway, it has some great authors in it I haven't seen much of.

I've also just finished a submission for the Black Library's call for Deathwatch short stories. I haven't finished the story but they only want a sample. Fingers crossed on that one.

Meanwhile I need to get back to Hierophants' Fall (the sequel to The Scarlet Ring). I'm working on a timeline at the moment while testing Aeon Timeline, which I got a trial version of courtesy of NaNoWriMo.

Reading wise I just finished (finally) the Women Destroy Science Fiction issue of Lightspeed. As with all anthologies it had some misses but a lot of hits too. I was surprised by how many bleak stories there were, some were very morbid, but there were some good upbeat ones too. The flash fiction section was fun too.

I think the stand-outs for me Walking Awake by N K Jemisin, which told about parasites that took over human bodies and grew us for hosts, A World Shaped Like Bones by Kris Millering, which was about an artist alone in space with a man she killed accidentally for a very long time and making art from his corpse (reminded me of one I read in Nightmare #1 a bit) and The Cost to be Wise by Maureen F McHugh, which was a story of a mission where well-meaning people try to teach the locals, it ends in a massacre funnily enough.

More soon. I want this blog to be much more frequent this year.

Keep dreaming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Scholar who came to Hobart

The Merry Men and Other Stories by R. L. Stevenson - a brief review

The Broken Road by A.E.W. Mason - A Review