The Serendipity of Jupiter Ascending

I watched Jupiter Ascending with my wife last night. When it was finished she asked me if I enjoyed it, I said I did and asked her opinion, she thought it was terrible and had ended up watching it for how bad it was. Now, we don't agree on everything and this is hardly the first movie I enjoyed that she didn't, but I realised I enjoyed it because it was in the tradition of the old pulp novels of the first half of last century, which I love. But being a fan of such pulp fiction does require you to forgive certain things other people may not.

Jupiter Ascending is a Planetary Romance slipped it into an action film. Consequently, the characters don't get much depth and are rather two-dimensional, and some of the villains (Titus in particular) seem somewhat ludicrous. But the whole notion of planets being farmed by galactic mega-corporations is fun pulp SF and the plot is ripe for a serialisation in old-school Amazing or Astounding. And from that point of view it's a good movie. From today's standards my wife is right and it's a shocker.


I think my tip-off to its pulp nature was when it was ending and I started thinking of the series of sequels that could follow as Jupiter's secret ownership of Earth and connections to the larger universe complicate her otherwise normal family life. What were her other properties? Would the surviving villains try new ways to take her inheritance? It's stuff Edgar Rice Burroughs and his ilk would dream about. And I was dreaming about it too.

Which is serendipitous as I come into the year I start my Masters. It confirms my ideas of researching within the founding years of modern Speculative Fiction and the ongoing wonders such traditions started. It's where my geek-dom lies after all.

For the record, I think Jupiter Ascending could have been helped by cutting the sister and just having the two brothers, allowing for more character development. Although, where exactly you'd go with the characters is beyond me, so it's probably best as it was. Ideas, stunning visuals and fun action, with a nice romance - pulp SF at its best.

Keep dreaming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Scholar who came to Hobart

The Merry Men and Other Stories by R. L. Stevenson - a brief review

The Broken Road by A.E.W. Mason - A Review