Flights of Discovery

So, I have been on a plane – twice. It’s actually quite exciting in its way, seeing the world below; Sydney at night became colonies of fireflies and the clouds in the daylight were mountains of ethereal wisps floating on shadows above the ground. Take off isn’t great on the neck however. Not much to say about airline food, they were only short trips. The tea is pretty average, but QANTAS did give us a very nice biscuit.



My holiday was a relaxing and fun week during which we covered a lot of ground exploring the beaches of the Northern Rivers, driving through some villages and dropping by Nimbin for some shopping. There’s also a very good local art gallery there I recommend to anyone passing through. Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is also well worth the time to explore, say hi to the tree kangaroos for me and watch out for the dragons. Seriously, during the week we saw so many water dragons – at my aunt’s house there were little ones we’d watch over breakfast, running about a stone wall, waving at each other and catching ants, and a bigger one who dropped by one evening; and there were more of them in Currumbin and South Bank, Brisbane where we made friends with one.



I also had the chance to explore numerous worlds, starting with those of Lord Dunsany’s Book of Wonders; a delightful series of very short stories in the manner of fairytales but with a modern twist, I strongly encourage discovering them for yourselves; they’re public domain, quick to read and absolutely charming. I also caught up with the last four issues of Aurealis, which gave me plenty of worlds to discover. I won’t say every story was my cup of tea but they’re all different and give something for everyone – and no I’m not remotely paid to say that. It’s Aussie fiction and done through love for the literature not for monetary gain so check it out and support local writers.

On that score, no I am not about to be one of those writers. My two recent submissions have been rejected; however, both came back with very encouraging and constructive comments. So, while a touch disheartened and disappointed, overall it was a positive experience and will hopefully produce better work. Which is what I must do some of now.

A final thing, an idea for some theatrical evenings has occurred to me embracing both the darker and the more absurd sides of my writing and their short natures. Watch this space. In the meantime, keep exploring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Scholar who came to Hobart

The Merry Men and Other Stories by R. L. Stevenson - a brief review

The Broken Road by A.E.W. Mason - A Review